Sunday, November 15, 2009

Police Horses

Wed, April 26, 2006
One of the perks of being a vet student is getting to play with all the cool animals. Three months ago I got to play with a baby aardvark; I can have my fill of puppies, kitties and llamas anytime I need a fuzz fix.
But today, I got to go and help vaccinate the MA state police horses before their long summer season of work. Two weeks ago we got to draw blood for EEE and the Coggins test; two months ago I got to learn dentistry on them as well; they get a cheap rate, and we get a whole barn to practice on!
They are all bays, and all geldings except for the one mare (who was having none of their nonsense today, can't blame her). There's always a pair of crusty old mounties there with them, and the convicts from Walpole clean the stalls and the barn in the morning- we aren't allowed to talk to them... go to jail, no girls, sorry!
It was fun, and definitely a sense of accomplishment. Nice study break anyways, getting outside, burying your hands in horse hair; I came away with dirty hands, smelling of horse with a big huge smile on my face. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

No comments: